The word “catering” comes from English which means “provisioning”. Initially, the term assumed the delivery of lunches or dinners at home.
Louis XIV can be considered to be the founder of catering services who became famous for his banquets, which were organized for him even during the period of hostilities. Francois Vatel, who worked at the court of the king, founded this concept. Now, by this term, it is understood not only restaurant services off-premise but also narrower specialization related to departure.
What is catering?
The service implies the departure of all catering enterprises under a contract agreement. Catering is not only the delivery of pre-cooked food. The industry assumes guest service. The service is engaged in setting tables, serving drinks. Catering is characterized by mobility and service in the place indicated by the client. The cost of the service depends on the complexity of the organization: you can serve a banquet for 200 people on a yacht or order only drinks.
Types of catering
Types of catering vary depending on the place of service, method and price:
- event – guest service at a private holiday, meeting;
- aviation-related – food delivery on board;
- social – catering in general educational institutions, hospitals, in the army;
- business – organization of corporate catering.
Cooking can be both indoors and outdoors. Catering also includes a contract for the supply of food, the sale of culinary products (in retail outlets on holidays), delivery and bottling of cocktails, concert catering.
Popular catering types
- A popular type of catering is wedding. In the summer and spring, more and more newlyweds prefer to organize catering.
- Coffee break – food delivery during business negotiations. Service takes no more than 30 minutes. The standard menu includes drinks: tea, coffee, mineral water, juices. There can be also offered cookies, sandwiches, crackers.
- Lunch is a type of service characterized by the delivery of corporate meals. A simple menu presents 2 changes of dishes and drinks.
You can also consider cocktail, barbecue, buffet, banquet as a type of catering service.
Benefits of catering
The popularity of field service is obvious. The main benefit for office workers is saving time for lunch. The advantages include the organization of holidays at any place and complexity.
Many organizations offer turnkey events, including bartenders and animators. For the celebration, catering is a great opportunity to get rid of unnecessary trouble.
Who works in a catering company?
As a rule, a catering company has a permanent staff, primarily cooks and managers, this is a key element on which the level of services basically depends, as well as the staff responsible for the provision of logistics services (forwarders) and services (waiters and bartenders).
Also, the catering company has a large number of freelancers with the same functions, so that, if necessary, it can take care of even a very large event. Such companies also have other employees responsible for providing additional services.